Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Part Time Pioneer

A "part time pioneer" isn't such an unusual thing to be. I think we all try to use our resources wisely, reduce our carbon footprints and conserve our money. I like the idea of pioneers of yore... homemade clothing, wide open spaces, soft colorful quilts made from worn clothing, and something savory simmering on the wood stove. It's a wonderful thought.

My reality is that I live in the middle of suburban sprawl. Our townhome is anonymous and beige with dozens more just like it everywhere I turn. My clothing comes from chain stores, my quilted bedding has Pottery Barn labels on it, and the savory stew is simmering in my electric Crock Pot.

I don't consider myself a pioneer wannabe, though. I vermicompost, grow what fruits and vegetables I can in our small space, bake my own bread, and homeschool my kids. Finding the balance between the "simple life" I yearn for and the reality I live in is a constant source of amusement to me. I hope you'll read along with me on my journey as a part time pioneer and find some things you can incorporate into your own life. And if you've got some tips for me, bring them on! I'm always ready to learn something new, especially if it directly benefits me!

No comments:

Post a Comment